The National Council of Negro Women (NCNW), Inc. was founded in 1935 by Dr. Mary McLeod Bethune. NCNW is a non-profit 501(c)3 national organization committed to helping all women and families improve the quality of life and strengthen community. The Northern Virginia(NoVA) Section of NCNW,Inc. are a dedicated group of volunteers whose sole mission is to implement NCNW’s goals throughout the Northern Virginia area. The NoVA Section was chartered in 1976 with the mission to advance the opportunity for African American women, their families,and communities. Our multitude of successful community service initiatives within the Northern Virginia area include conducting and supporting an annual health fair , packing care packages for active military personnel, feeding the homeless every third Saturday of the month, donating to Toys for Tots, and giving grants/donations to schools and other community establishments.
The NoVA Section is launching our first Annual Oratorical Scholarship Competition with the mission to provide scholarships to college-bound seniors. We are seeking African American or African-descent high school seniors to apply for our “We Are the Dream” scholarship. Scholarships will be awarded to deserving recipients in the amounts of $1,000, $500, and $250.
Enclosed is a copy of the application. Feel free to make additional copies and distribute to students who meet the criteria.
Please encourage all eligible African-American or African-descent seniors to apply for this scholarship. If you need additional information, please send an email to NoVANCNWScholar@gmail.com or call 703-829-7449.
Sincerely, Karita Richardson Third Vice President, NoVA Section
The Scholarship Competition is open to African American or African-descent high school seniors who will be attending an undergraduate program/university during the 2017-18 academic year.
Complete the enclosed application or visit www.novancnw.org and click on the Events Link.
Competition will begin September 2016 and all completed applications need to be postmarked by Thursday, January 5, 2017.
Send completed applications to NoVANCNWScholar@gmail.com or NoVA Section of NCNW. Inc P. O. Box 119, Merrifield, VA 22116.
For more information contact us at NoVANCNWScholar@gmail.com or (703)-829-7449.
The Northern Virginia Section is offering scholarships to African-American and Africandescent high school seniors who have excelled academically and plan to pursue a college degree during the 2017-18 school year.
• Must be an African-American or African-descent high school senior attending a public or private high school in the Northern Virginia area and residing in Arlington, Alexandria, Fairfax County, or Falls Church.
• Students must submit an official high school transcript • Must have a GPA of at least 2.5 on a 4.0 scale
• Must be planning to apply to an accredited institution of postsecondary education for the 2017-18 academic year.
• Complete and legible scholarship application, postmarked by extended deadline, January 5, 2017
• Public or private high school senior living in Northern Virginia (school must be located in Northern Virginia)
• Official high school transcript • Minimal GPA of 2.5 (on a 4.0 scale)
• Completed essay of 500-525 words, double-spaced, 12 pt. font
Application must be postmarked by Thursday, January 5, 2017. Applications that are not fully completed will not be considered. You will be notified no later than Friday, January 20, 2017, if you are selected.
Thank You & Best Wishes!