The National Council of Negro Women (NCNW) was founded in 1935 by Dr. Mary McLeod Bethune. NCNW is a national organization committed to helping all women and families strengthen their communities and improve quality of life. We, the Northern Virginia (NoVA) Section of NCNW, are a dedicated group of volunteers whose sole mission is to implement NCNW’s goals throughout the Northern Virginia area. The NoVA Section was chartered in 1976 and has grown to be one of the largest Sections in the Mid-Atlantic region. Our multitude of successful community service initiatives within the Northern Virginia area include conducting and supporting health events, packing care packages for active military personnel, feeding the homeless, and giving grants/donations to schools and other community establishments.
The NoVa Section is hosting our Second Annual Oratorical Scholarship Competition with the mission to provide scholarships to college-bound seniors. We are seeking African-American or African-descent high school seniors to apply for “The Stanza To Inspire My Future” scholarship. This year scholarships will be awarded to deserving recipients in the amounts of $1,500 (1st place), $1,000 (2nd place), and $500 (3rd place).
Enclosed is a copy of the complete application package. Feel free to make additional copies and distribute to students who meet the criteria.
Please encourage all eligible seniors to apply for this scholarship. If you need additional information, please send an email to NoVANCNWScholar@gmail.com or call 703-829-7449.
Sincerely, Karita Richardson Third Vice President, NoVA Section
The Scholarship Competition is open to African American or African-descent high school seniors who will be attending an undergraduate program/university during the 2017-18 academic year.
Competition will begin September 2017 and all completed applications need to be postmarked by Friday, January 19, 2018.
Send completed applications to NoVANCNWScholar@gmail.com or NoVA Section of NCNW. Inc P. O. Box 119, Merrifield, VA 22116.
For more information contact us at NoVANCNWScholar@gmail.com or (703)-829-7449.
The Northern Virginia Section is offering scholarships to African-American and Africandescent high school seniors who have excelled academically and plan to pursue a college degree during the 2018-19 school year.
• Must be an African-American or African-descent high school senior attending a public or private high school in the Northern Virginia area and residing in Arlington, Alexandria, Fairfax County, or Falls Church.
• Students must submit an official high school transcript • Must have a GPA of at least 2.5 on a 4.0 scale
• Must be planning to apply to an accredited institution of post-secondary education for the 2018-19 academic year.
• Completed scholarship application, postmarked by Friday, January 19, 2018 (Grammatically correct and legible)
• High school senior who attend school and reside in Northern VA.
• Official high school transcript • Minimal GPA of 2.5 (on a 4.0 scale)
• Completed essay of 500-525 words, double-spaced, 12 pt. font
• Photo - Please attach a recent professional photograph (acceptable formats-PDF, JPG,or TIFF) of yourself to this application.
Application must be postmarked by Friday, January 19, 2018. Applications that are not fully completed will not be considered. You will be notified no later than Wednesday, January 31, 2018, if you are selected
Thank You & Best Wishes!